Saturday 21 July 2012

Farewell to fish tails...


Now that I have returned home safely and jumped right back into work with the Forest Service I figured it is about time to reflect on my final thoughts from Australia and wrap up the fish tails until my next adventure!  Just about 6 months ago I arrived in Australia without a place to live, not knowing anyone, and not much of a sense of what to expect at work or where work (or anything for that matter) even was!  Since then I have vastly expanded my professional scope of skills and experiences, made amazing friends, travelled a beautiful country and had opportunities to try all sorts of new things from SCUBA diving to vegemite to hang gliding.  Although the NMSC offered an atmosphere that could leave some feeling lost at first, and unsure of what projects to jump into or what initiatives to kick off, it was perfect for a self-driven intern and employee like myself.  Specific tasks that I needed to accomplish on a weekly basis were outlined but the rest of my time was driven by my research interests as I had a large say as to which researchers and projects I would be working with so that I could be both useful to them as well as take advantage of the vast learning opportunities.  I spent the majority of my time working in the Ocean Acidification Lab, Aquaculture Facilities, Bycath Reduction, Marine Organisms Genetics (specifically mollusks), Scuba fish and coral surveys, as well as working some weekends in the aquarium giving fish talks and I even dabbled with a little bartending (outside the center that is).  I was able to dive at least a few times a week, spend time in the field, on research vessels, commercial fishing boats, in the lab and in the aquarium.  This multiplicity of experiences was what I appreciate most about my time in Australia as it helped me to exceed my primary goal of diversifying and expanding my range of fisheries research experience, specifically to from freshwater to marine environments. 
The most valuable advice I could give to future students interested in such a program is to go into the experience with an entirely open mind and take advantage of any opportunity that comes your way.  Working, interning and travelling abroad helped to grow personally and professionally on many levels.  I found the experience to be immensely fulfilling as well as opening up so many opportunities for my future career.  Many thanks to everyone that has helped to make this wonderful experience possible! Until my next adventure, this is all for Fish Tails (from Down Under)……………..


No comments:

Post a Comment